Call us now:
After a car accident, many people are unsure of what to do. This could lead to difficulties later on when filing a personal injury claim. There are several steps you need to take after a car accident to increase your safety and protect your ability to seek compensation. Our firm has guided countless clients to successful legal solutions. We will analyze your situation and walk you through the legal process. Whether you’ve been in a minor fender bender or a major collision, it is important to follow these 5 steps:
- Get help. After you’ve been involved in a car accident, it is important to check yourself and your passengers for injuries. You should also call 911, or have someone else call 911 if you are unable to. If the vehicle is in an intersection or is obstructing traffic, it is a good idea to move it to the side of the road or to a parking lot. However, if you are seriously injured, or the vehicle is badly damaged, it is best to stay where you are and wait for emergency responders to arrive.
- Exchange information. It is also important to exchange information with the other driver. This includes the name of the insurance provider, the policy number, and the contact information and driver’s license number. This information may be helpful later on when you need to get in touch with the other driver.
- Gather evidence. Evidence is essential to seeking compensation after a car accident. You should file a police report, take pictures of the vehicle damage, write down the names and contact information of any witnesses, and also write down whatever you can remember about the crash, including the time of day, order of events, and other factors. You may also want to keep a journal record of your pain and suffering as you heal from your injuries, and request a copy of your medical records.
- See a doctor. Even if you feel fine after a minor car accident, this does not mean you have escaped injuries. Some injuries, such as whiplash, muscle and ligament sprains, traumatic brain injuries, and internal organ damage, may not exhibit symptoms right away. This means you could start to feel pain hours, days, or even weeks after the crash. If you wait to see a doctor, the insurance company may claim that your injuries did not result from the crash, or that they are not as severe as you say they are. Thus, seeing a doctor after a car accident is important to protect your personal injury claim, and to ensure you don’t have underlying injuries.
- Call our Bryan car accident attorneys. Hiring an experienced and aggressive personal injury attorney after a crash is important. We believe negligent or reckless drivers must be held accountable. Our team will conduct an investigation to gather evidence, help you file the necessary documents, and represent you tenaciously against large insurance companies.
If You Have Been Injured in a Car Crash, Waltman & Grisham Attorneys at Law Is Here to Help
At Waltman & Grisham Attorneys at Law, we provide aggressive representation on behalf of injured clients. If you or a loved one have been injured by a negligent driver, you may be entitled to a settlement for lost wages, pain and suffering, medical bills, emotional distress, punitive damages, and more. Our Bryan car accident attorneys will answer your questions and represent you every step of the way. Contact our firm today to schedule a free initial consultation. We are available 24/7 for your convenience.