Call us now:
[av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=” av-medium-font-size=” av-small-font-size=” av-mini-font-size=” av_uid=’av-jyd1z1wm’ custom_class=” admin_preview_bg=”]
Nowadays, our society is more than ever dependent on technology—especially cellphones. Whether we use it to communicate with one another, stay updated on current events, or conduct our day-to-day activities, many people rely on their cellphones to perform a variety of tasks.
Unfortunately, a significant portion of Americans cannot seem to put the phone down whenever we operate a motor vehicle. Each day in our country, approximately nine people are killed and more than 1,000 are injured in car accidents that are reported to involve a distracted driver.
The following are the statistics associated with texting while driving in the United States:
- According to the National Safety Council, cellphone use while driving results in 1.6 million traffic collisions annually.
- One out of every four car accidents in the U.S. is caused by texting and driving.
- The NHTSA reported that in 2015, there were 3.477 people killed and an estimated 391,000 people injured in traffic accidents involving distracted drivers.
- According to the CDC, drivers under the age of 20 have the highest proportion of distraction-related fatal crashes.
- Sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for approximately five seconds, which is like driving the length of an entire football field with your eyes closed at 55 mph.
- Truck drivers are 23 times more like to be involved in a crash when texting while driving.
- Teen drivers are four times more likely than adults to get into car accidents or near-crashes when talking or texting while driving.
Due to the staggeringly high rates of accidents caused by this type of distracted driving, we must shed light on this epidemic. Waltman & Grisham Attorneys at Law hope that with this information, you are able to teach others about the dangers of distracted driving and lead by example by putting away your cellphone whenever you are behind the wheel.
If you suffered an injury in an accident caused by a negligent party in Texas, request a free consultation with our Bryan personal injury attorney at Waltman & Grisham Attorneys at Lawtoday.